Thursday, February 11, 2010

Roca Partida Part 2 (Paparazzi)

The adventures of Roca Partida continue! As I remember we are still at THE ISLAND OF THE BIRDS!!! DUN DUN DUN! So we decided to get out the boat for a while and swim around. We needed to keep our sandles on because sharp rocks were all around us. We spent some time with our goggles swimming around and looking at the rocks, fish, and sea urchins. We are calmly swimming when this boat comes wildly splashing towards us. Imagine with me… A small boat like ours meant for about 6-8 people but this boat has like 15 people piled in and they are all screaming and wild! They all quickly realize that we are gringos and they all pull out their cameras, start taking pictures and saying, “hello” and, “how are you?'” in English. I think I know now what it feels like to be a celebrity and stalked by the paparazzi. At first, I kinda liked it… I felt special. But then, it got really annoying and I was happy when they drove off. Sadly, this is not the end of my paparazzi tail. More to come later in this blog. We jumped back in the boat after I had explored the island a bit and then drove away. Say goodbye to THE ISLAND OF THE BIRDS!!!

IMG_3175

And now for some more scenery on the way to our next stopping point,

IMG_3180

a lighthouse to keep us safe, and…

IMG_3181

a private beach for our swimming and hiking leisure!

IMG_3182

Well, I must admit that the beach wasn’t “private” until about 15 minutes after our arrival. Do you remember our paparazzi? Well, it seems that they had gotten to our private little beach before we did. Upon getting out of the boat we quickly made our way to the mountains to climb a trail and avoid the commotion. Of course the moment I get to the top of the ridge and turn to see an incredible view, I realize that I left my camera in the boat. That’s when I commenced as stealthily as possible back into enemy territory. I knew what I was getting myself into by going back to the boat, but the camera was worth it. I had nearly made it to the boat untouched and undisturbed (except for the fact that they were all staring at me like they’d never seen a gringo before), when a couple of teenage girls look at me with puppy-dog eyes and ask if they can take a picture with me. Well, you guessed it! I couldn’t say no to that display and so I obliged. That was my first mistake. The girls both through their arms around me in a very friendly manner and the very flamboyant (gay) guy started to take pictures of us. At this moment it was as if everyone else was invited and they formed this line to get pictures with the GRINGO!

I barely made it out alive and climbed back up the trail to get some pictures of my own.

IMG_3191

Camm makes fun of me every time he sees this picture because of the way that my legs are positioned. We get a good laugh together. Take careful note that their are no people on the beach below.

IMG_3192

That’s what I’m talking about… mad skills! Now you know why everyone wants to take my picture while I’m down here.

IMG_3198

Remember how there are no people on the beach down below? The reason that there are no people on the beach below is because they had all followed us up the trail! At this point I was trying to avoid any more contact with my paparazzi friends but then I had one of those light bulb epiphany moments pop into my head. I said to myself, “Shawn, you’ve got to blog about all these funny people wanting to take your picture!” I thought that was a pretty great idea. But then the thought occurred to me that no one would ever believe my story unless I got a picture of them to prove it. I mean think about it, you haven’t seen any evidence that anything I’ve told you about the Mexican paparazzi is real! Ok folks, only for you and the sake of this blog I went back down and suffered some more pictures with our Mexican fan club. Here you go…

IMG_3194 

If you click the above picture and make it just a little bigger you will notice how awkwardly close those girls are next to me and I just noticed the flamboyant one one over from my right side (yeah, you can see him) is holding out his phone getting ready to take more pictures. AWKWARD!!!! For this picture alone I was then forced to take like three more afterwards. Such a difficult life being a gringo here in Mexico…

The fan club left and we enjoyed a nice little swim before I almost got my feet cut up on some corral. But that is a story that Mom’s who read their sons blogs don’t like to hear about. The key word is ALMOST got my feet cut up. It was a pleasant swim. We returned to the boat and then we were off, leaving our private little beach never to return. I miss that little beach…

IMG_3199

Well, good thing for you is that the adventures of Roca Partida are not over! The sad part is that I’m done writing for the evening. Once again you will need to save time to read more about my adventures on another day!

TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments:

Post a Comment