Saturday, January 9, 2010

First Impressions…

TortaFirst full day in Veracruz! Check this out! This is me eating… eating what you ask? Eating a Torta! So Hiram (the man in charge of our adventure) tells us that we are going to get some tortas for breakfast. I’m thinking to myself- “Cake for breakfast! Mom would never approve! Dream come true!” Well folks, even better than cake for breakfast is a sandwich with a massive slice of ham, a massive slice of mild cheese, and loads of fresh avocado. Very delicious, but it gets better! See that in the background? Orange Fanta with a STRAW! Now I know you’re thinking that we broke the bank for this breakfast. Oh no, it’s not true. All this goodness was total like $2.50. The sandwich alone was only $1.50. Only in Mexico!

The day only got better from there. We ended up visiting a fun little family for lunch and Camm (my compañero en Mexico) was convinced to read a story to a five year old girl named Dani. He started to read and Dani busted a gut laughing at him! Then she very admittedly declared that, “Camm es loco!” The irony of this story is that shortly after her declaration she threw on some sunglasses, turned on Michael Jackson’s Thriller, sang, and danced just like Michael. A better impersonation couldn’t be found in Vegas! This went on for the next half hour… over and over again. Who is loco now?
For those who know me well… VW bugs are everywhere down here!
We had quite an eventful evening walking by the port and around the main city square. We’re walking along and stumbled upon this guy….Sidewalk Painter- Mona Lisa

Yep, just like Mary Poppins! Talk about talent!
We continued on and Hiram treated us to the best nieve (shaved ice or ice cream?) that I’ve ever had!


Jan 7th Port nieves1
There we are just taking in the moment. We took our ice cream to the main square, looked at a nifty life-size nativity with the ugliest angel I’ve ever seen, and  chatted it up in Spanish when I overheard a familiar sound in the background. I look over and see a fairly large group of white-skinned and loud people. Americans? What’s that I hear? Russian? Could it be? In Mexico? Russia represents! I walked over and had a good little conversation with about 15 Russians in Russian in Mexico. I’ll be honest, it took me a minute to gather myself. It was super hard to switch back to Russian after spending a whole day speakin’ a Spanish! I was a flustered but at the same time grateful to be able to speak Spanish as well as I have.
Overall, The future looks good for me here in Mexico. More adventure to come….

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome first day! That is so crazy that you got to talk with Russians in Mexico. And I love the sidewalk art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bro. Live it up down there!

    ReplyDelete