Tuesday, February 23, 2010

El Tajin- The Sky Dancers!

Upon arriving at the park we were quickly pushed out of the car and told to run because the big show was about to start. They only do this every half hour so it’s kind of a big deal you know. So we are all at a dead sprint to make sure and make it time for the twenty minute flute and drum ensemble. Ladies and gentlement! For your veiwing pleasure… The Drumming and Flute dancing man!


So basically there are four guys up there sitting on that square. They are all roped in for the next big routine. The really crazy part is that the guy playing the flute and drum isn’t strapped in at all. He just stands on the pole and every once in a while he gets all crazy-like and jumps up and down and stuff. Don’t try that at home… jumping up and down on top of a fifty foot pole while playing a flute and drum. Talk about dangerous. So as exciting as this was, it gets better! The dancers started to dance! And again, all I could think of was my viewers back home. So for you my friends, I made this little video. Please enjoy… the sky pole dancers… of EL TAJIN!


Now I know what you’re all thinking because I was thinking the same thing. “That’s it?” “Aren’t they gonna do any cool tricks or something?” “Why would anybody ever do something like this?”

Well, I’ve matured quite a lot since January 30th and now I know the facts. The four dancers are supposed to make a full 13 turns before reaching the ground. If you times 13 by 4 you get 52, or the number of years in the Totonac century. The chief or dancing, fluting, drumming man represents the sun God whilst the four swinging dancers represent the suns rays coming down to fertilize the earth. It’s actually one of the most important Totonac rituals. Pretty interesting. I’m glad I saw it.

Flyers of Tajin

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is really neat! The last picture is a good one too.

    ReplyDelete